If you're a student in COMP 1850, review the following information to access your site. If you're not a student in this course, this will probably be pretty meaningless to you!
student account setup
Each student has a personal webspace. This space is exclusively yours, with your own username and password. You will need to use a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) client to move your files between the server and your local work station. In class, we will use FileZilla.
- Accounts are created in the system with the assistance of your instructor
- Be prepared to enter your:
- directory name - your myBCIT name is a good option (what's that?)
- username - does not have to be the same as directory name
- password - must include one uppercase character, one punctuation character and one digit
- Instructor will have you enter your information to create account
- The account is created immediately
- Your URL will be: http://students.bcitwebdev.com/[your_directory_name]
use ftp to connect to your account
- Launch FileZilla from your Start Menu (choose All Programs and locate FileZilla in listing).
- Select File > Site Manager
- Click on New Site in the bottom left corner of the dialogue box. The New Site will appear in the window above; rename it COMP 1850
- Host: ftp.bcitwebdev.com
- Port: 21
- Logon Type: Normal
- User: [your_username]
- Password: [your_password]
- Account: leave blank
- Click Connect (bottom)
add your home page to the course members list in myBCIT
- Login to myBCIT.
- Click the My Courses tab.
- Click View your myBCIT course homepages & WebCT courses.
- Click on the Intro to Web Dev and Design link.
- Locate and click on the Members link in the left hand navigation menu.
- Find your name and click toadd your home page.
- In the Title field, enter something like "My homepage" (without the quotes).
- In the URL field, enter http://students.bcitwebdev.com/[your_directory_name].
- Click Submit.